Monday, July 28, 2014

THE OMEN MUSIC FOR A MONDAY MOURNING


"Do I really want to put devilish music on my blog on a Sunday morning?", I asked myself this time yesterday.

No. Some people might be offended, even if the music is from a movie.

The Omen, a classic horror film directed by Richard Donner and released in 1976, features a brilliant score by composer Jerry Goldsmith. (It won him his one and only Oscar. I don't follow the Oscars, but many who do, the 'best score' category at least, have said that Goldsmith was "robbed" several times: Planet of the Apes; Patton; Star Trek - The Motion Picture, and several others. Whatever. It matters not.)

The composer later arranged a concert suite of his Omen music. It's a beauty.

Back in 2009, Spanish composer Diego Navarro conducted an energetic -- and thrilling -- performance with the Tenerife Film Orchestra and Choir as part of "Filmucite", a film music festival held in Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain. (Sounds like something I could attend... the Canary Islands!)

Enjoy! It makes going back to business on a Monday morning much more bearable....

No comments: