Saturday, February 18, 2012

SPACE: 2099?


Yesterday, a friend emailed me with the news that some crazy producers are planning to remake the 1975-77 SF television series Space: 1999, as Space: 2099.  He attached a link to the Hollywood Reporter where the stellar news was announced...
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/space-2099-television-remake-288601

I sent him an email about my feelings -- thought you'd like to read its contents, which I have included here...

I checked the link you sent me to the Hollywood Reporter. I have mixed feelings about that business plan.  There aren't enough fans of the original to carry the show to ratings success/stability.  So why use a brand name, that is hardly a brand name in the conventional sense of the term, to propel a remake of a, for the most part, not so fondly remembered series?  (When the average citizen thinks of Space: 1999, those who remember it will reminisce as "that show with the 'oi-ding... oi-ding... oi-ding'".) I can't imagine too many new fans/viewers being picked up along the way -- unless they just make a new series, with all the originality that is extant anymore.

You had a good point yesterday about the issue of the moon being blown out of Earth's orbit [the ridiculousness].  Also, the tone would be different now; and the 'tone' was one of the better things about the original show [1st season].

Remember: Most producers aren't very bright; especially the financiers.

2 comments:

DonaldAR said...

I agree, Barry. I think that this is the lamest form of derivative concept-milking. May I present as further evidence the line from the Hollywood reporter article:

"While we are indeed re-imagining the franchise ... " continued Hall, who recently revived V at ABC"

What? WHY? I seem to remember "V" was pretty much shite the 1st time...

Barry Smight said...

Yeah, V was "shite" the 1st time. (See my recent tweets at: www.twitter.com/barrysmight)