Thursday, April 1, 2010

CLASH OF THE TITANS - ROSENTHAL

This morning I skim-read a couple of reviews (how could I miss them) for the new Clash of the Titans film, which is a remake of an okay 1981 opus. The original was moderately budgeted but it still was no slouch in the visuals department, and featured stop-motion effects produced and directed by the legendary maestro Ray Harryhausen.

I remember when the '81 Clash hit the theatres... we knew it was coming. It was years later that I got around to watching the movie. I remember some reviewers commenting at the time that the visual effects were already 'old school' considering the great strides made in effects technology such as motion control. The effects were still effective, to me. They supported the story and enabled some instant classic moments such as the rise of the Kraken.

However, the most supportive ingredient in this Clash, and one element which is actually superb, is Laurence Rosenthal's score. It qualifies as one of those "makes the movie seem to be better than it perhaps is" works. John Barry was to do the score but his effort was tossed and Rosenthal was brought in to write a new one. By the way, the paperback book, undoubtedly already inked and cut by the publisher by the time the decision had been made to take another stab at the music, actually had Barry's name credited on the back cover; which might make the tie-in book a bit of a collector's item for those who look for that sort of thing.

Last night I decided to look on Youtube for any clips of Laurence Rosenthal's score...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT0My8Pr7bo&NR=1

Great stuff. Even away from the movie. I have the LP packed away somewhere. Bought it back when the film was released.

The new Clash is getting less than stellar reviews. More important, I would like to hear what the civilians have to say about it. If I do go to the movie house to watch, I will do so in one which is playing good ol' 2-D.

No comments: