Thursday, August 30, 2007

NO MOMI NO MORE

"When in London, England, make sure you visit the Museum of the Moving Image, or MOMI for short." That is something I would say to anyone about to visit the great olde city. The problem now, for me and my line, is that the museum apparently no longer exists. I know not why as the place was great for any movie or TV fans. For instance, at the base of one stairway was a Dalek from the Doctor Who series. As I was descending these steps I thought I was about to be mugged for a few pence. He left me alone.

Lady Luck was with me the day I visited as the major exhibit -- the travelling exhibit -- was a large collection of 'creatures' that Ray Harryhausen articulated as part of his animation work for various classic feature films. I recognized some dudes from The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad ("hey, didn't I see you roasting some guy on a spit?"), Mysterious Island, Clash of the Titans and so on. The bee from Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger was there too. "That's a big bee!"

I have pleasant memories of MOMI, although my personal favourite is of a certain young Aussie...

No comments: