Wednesday, July 18, 2007

'FAN FILM' QUESTION


I'm all for creativity and making films. One interesting phenomenon is that of the 'fan film'. Star Wars, Star Trek, and Doctor Who are all victims of this type of filmmaking. I admit I have checked some out over the years and some display real filmmaking prowess. But, my attitude is if you are going to expend so much energy making a film -- and it takes a lot of effort to do this, even for the simplest and shortest film -- why not make something original? It's heartbreaking to see these things and realize that these energies are so misguided. I guess if it gives you pleasure, then go for it, but the reality is a lot of these people think they are going to be swept off their feet and asked by some 'power that be' to make a film for them. Good luck. Originality counts for a lot, believe it or not.

I remember seeing an interview a couple of years ago with Star Trek's brilliant production designer, Walter 'Matt' Jefferies: He recounted the story of some guy sending him beautifully drawn blueprints depicting the original Trek's studio sets. (This fan had taken the time to reference different sources to draw these.) Jefferies went on to say that he responded to the sender by boldly stating, "great job... now do something original!"

1 comment:

Tibor said...

Hear hear! I've noticed a recent spate of "fan" made music videos. I mean, c'mon....it's a music video fer cryin' out loud! It's already a "fingerpainter" medium for the most part. Cut to the band playing somewhere strange like a kitchen, cut to an outta focus close-up of a bird in a tree and back again...rinse, lather, repeat. Why bother? I dunno but here's what I got when I asked...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a79hGf8fDvI
(might not be on the first page anymore). Anyway, these videos look like what bagpipes sound like if they were kicked down a flight of stairs.